Documents Required

Info Sheet 7-26-17

As public stewards, we require certain documentation to accompany all requests for assistance to ensure funds are reserved for use by the truly needy. In order to expedite the processing of your application, please bring with you the following documents:

  • Valid photo I.D. for all household members over the age of 18. Likewise, as requests are processed on a household unit basis, all adult household members need to be present to sign the application.
  • Social Security cards for all household members, including children.
  • Proof of net income for the past 30 days is required. This would include all sources of income, including but not limited to any of the following:
    • Paycheck stubs
    • Social Security/SSI
    • Pension or Retirement income
    • Child Support
    • Any other sources of income
  • If you are not currently employed, we will provide you with the paperwork to get (3) job referrals. If you are pending disability you must bring proof.
  • If you have a dependent over one year of age, a printout indicating whether you do or do not receive child support (this usually can be obtained from the Prosecutor’s Office – Child Support Division). If you have not filed for child support you must file in order to receive assistance from this office.
  • Current statement showing food stamp/SNAP, Medicaid/Medicare, and TANF/AFDC amounts received along with these cards. If you currently do not receive any one of these benefits, proof of application is required. You can apply online at: Apply for Benefits.
  • Between February 15th and May 1st ONLY, a copy of your previous year’s Federal and State Tax Returns – these MUST be filed before assistance will be given.
  • Proof of the amount spent per month on housing, including:
    • A copy of your apartment or home rental agreement AND a current receipt indicating the amount you spend on housing.
    • If you are a homeowner, proof of your monthly mortgage obligation is required instead.
    • If you are enrolled in Section 8 or any other form of subsidized or reduced rent housing, you must bring current program paperwork.
    • Copy of your most recent bank statements (including savings, checking, etc.)

Utility Assistance

Utility assistance applicants must also bring a disconnect notice issued under the name of one of the adult household members who are applying.

Rent Assistance

We do not assist with rent if you are on Section 8 or receive subsidized/reduced rent housing. You must have been at your current address for at least 30 days before rental assistance can be given.


Employment Application Verification

If you are currently unemployed, your case manager may also require proof that you are actively seeking employment. If this is the case, he or she will give you forms to be completed by prospective employers. Likewise, for your convenience you may download these forms below.

Verification of Application for Employment

Once you have your documents together and ready, stop by our office. Applications for assistance are processed on a first-come-first-served basis between the hours of 8:00 am to 11:00 am and 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday, at our office conveniently located at 1116 North Weinbach Avenue.

Comments are closed.